Saturday, December 22, 2007

Oh the color of the sky & What do I feel?

I relize that most of childhood is about discovery so I wrote these. The first one is for ages 3-4 and the second one is more for toddlers.


Oh, Look! Oh, Look! What do I see?
I see wispy white clouds high above the earth.
The only thing higher is an endless sea of blue.
Right below them are large fluffy clouds strolling along.
And over in the distance is a very large storm.
As the sun goes down it turns from yellow to orange.
Down at the bottom it is always a very dark gray.
Lightning will flash neon, purple, and blue.
As the sun falls lower and lower a rainbow appears with all the primary colors displayed.
The sun drops lower still and the clouds are lined with deep oranges, yellows, and reds.
The sun starts to fall down beneath the earth.
Its rays can be seen shooting high in the air.
The clouds hugging the horizon are bright, bright florescent, while the other side of the sky grows dark.
Then slowly far, far above the earth bright little lights start to appear. They blink and twinkle. Over in the distance the storm still rumbles on.
Lightning jumps across the tops of clouds.
Then an orange round globe begins rising from under the earth.
It gets whiter and smaller as it climbs the sky.
Streaks of light zoom across the dark abyss, then flash red and disappear.
Some stars refuse to stand still.
How wonderful it would be to watch this show forever.
But, as the moon reaches his place up in the sky he looks down and says, “Hush. Hush. Hush now. It's time to go to sleep.”


What do I feel?
I feel something soft and prickly. If I touch it softly it tickles my hand. I can grab it with my hand, and if I pull it will tare. It’s grass!

I feel something smooth and cold. It is hard and round. It’s a rock!

I feel something rough and hard. As I move my hand across it is bumpy. Tiny pieces break off in my hand. It’s the bark of a tree!

I feel something cold and rough. It falls through my fingers and sticks to my hand. It’s dirt!

I feel something wet and cold. My hand goes right through it. I can feel it rushing by. It’s a stream!

I feel something that brushes my hair. It comes and goes. Sometimes it’s warm and sometimes it’s cold. It’s the wind!

I feel something soft and warm. It is smooth and round and it moves! It’s MOMMY!

4 comments:

Pirate Princess said...

ok, i can't help but laugh at the mommy thing, esp. since i hugged athena the other day and she informed me i wiggle just a bit too much....

looks good! :)

Hummer said...

Loved reading your writings.
Such insight. Thanks for sharing.

Edward and Marian said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the night-time sky one. We are keeping that one for the kids. Love you!

Little Miss Sunshine said...

I just want to know what you meant by round :P
They are both cute.
hugz